Merits of Median:
- It is easy to understand and calculate
- It is not affected by extreme values. As an example, consider the following data sets and their central tendencies. As an example, consider the following data sets and their central tendencies.
In the above table, the value 500 creates a huge difference in the mean but brings no change in the mode and median.
- It can be located graphically
- Median can be calculated for open end class intervals and for unequal class intervals
- It is the best measure for qualitative data such as beauty, intelligence, honesty
Demerits of Median:
- It is based on the middle observation only and doesn’t provide a picture of the entire data.
- It cannot be used for further mathematical treatment
- It does not have sampling stability so sampling fluctuations can be high.
- It is not based on all observations
- It cannot represent the irregularly distributed data